Ajax director Marc Overmars confirms they have given up trying to sign Inter target Andre Onana to a new contract. ‘We’ve moved on.’
The goalkeeper will be a free agent at the end of the current campaign and has been heavily linked with Inter, although Arsenal and even Napoli are also thought to be interested in securing his services.
“We are not working on a contract renewal with Andre Onana,” Ajax director of sport Overmars told Dutch media before today’s Champions League game against Besiktas.
“We already tried and it didn’t work, so we moved on. An agreement had been made to sell him over the summer, this didn’t go through and that was not our fault.
“Onana said in an interview last week that we have withdrawn from attempts to sign him to a new contract. That is true, but there is a good reason for it.”
Samir Handanovic’s recent howlers have prompted suggestions Inter could try to tempt Onana to San Siro in the January transfer market.
That would give Ajax at least some transfer fee, although it remains to be seen if the Nerazzurri will make that move early to undermine the player who is after all their captain.
Inter, Onana si avvicina? Ds Ajax conferma: “Non rinnoveremo il contratto”https://t.co/LcZsWCrZk9
— Fcinter1908 (@fcin1908it) September 28, 2021