Manchester United vs Liverpool live: Police officer in hospital with ‘significant slash wound to face’ following fan protests at Old Trafford which postponed Premier League match

One police officer was hospitalised by furious Manchester United fans, who protested against the club’s owners on Sunday and forced the Premier League game against Liverpool to be postponed.

The violence got so bad that Greater Manchester Police had to ask neighbouring forces for assistance to quell the growing crowds.

Man United fans staged a protest before their game with Liverpool, which was subsequently postponed as a result
Fans were protesting against the club’s owners following the controversial European Super League plans and chanted for The Glazers to sell up

Hundreds of fans invaded the stadium to express their anger following plans backed by the Glazer family to join a proposed European Super League.

In a statement, United thanked the police for their support and said they will ‘assist them in any subsequent investigations.’


Old Trafford was soon sent into lockdown when more than 1,000 supporters turned up[/caption]

  • A protest was planned outside the ground at 2pm, with fans congregating at least an hour before.
  • Some gained access to the stadium via the Munich Tunnel, by pushing down barriers, despite the attempts of security guards to prevent that happening.
  • A large number of fans ran back out of the stadium complex at around 2.20pm.
  • A second group then reappeared on the Old Trafford pitch at around 3.30pm.
  • The Premier League confirmed that kick-off for the match had been delayed with a no revised time given.
  • Fans had also been protesting outside the hotel where both teams had been staying at and they have been unable to leave.
  • The game was then officially called off at just after 5.30pm.
  • One police officer was attacked with a bottle and sustained a significant slash wound to his face, requiring emergency hospital treatment.

Fans broke into Old Trafford and stormed the pitch and some supporters then battled against police there to keep things peaceful[/caption]

Follow live updates in the blog below.