‘Farcical’ Paris Saint-Germain errors gift Man City huge win in Champions League semi-final first leg as Gueye sent off for ‘ankle breaker’ challenge

Paris Saint-Germain only have themselves to blame as Man City were gifted a 2-1 win in the Parc des Princes on Wednesday.

For large portions of the Champions League semi-final first leg, Paris Saint-Germain were on top and had opened the scoring through Marquinhos.

Mahrez scored City’s second to put them ahead in the tie

But poor goalkeeping from Keylor Navas and an awful error from a free-kick gifted goals to Kevin De Bruyne and Riyad Mahrez as they take the lead back to the Etihad.

“The two goals they’ve scored have been absolutely farcical, to be honest,” former City manager Stuart Pearce told talkSPORT on commentary.

City were in full control and perhaps would have felt they could have extended their lead as PSG saw a man sent off late on.

The hosts had got on top early with Pep Guardiola’s team selection raising a few eyebrows as he started with no Gabriel Jesus, Sergio Aguero or Raheem Sterling in the starting line-up.

They then went ahead after 15 minutes as they took advantage to their good start.

Alessandro Florenzi had already had a shot blocked following a corner and Neymar had also forced a save from Ederson.

The hosts then broke through from a corner as Marquinhos got forward to head home from an Angel Di Maria corner.


Marquinhos scored another big Champions League goal for PSG[/caption]

It was yet another big Champions League goal from the Brazilian defender who has now scored in the quarter-finals and semi-finals of the competition in the last two seasons.

City had a good chance to level before the break after Kyle Walker seized on a loose PSG pass to find Bernardo Silva. 

The Portuguese then picked out Foden in space but the England international shot straight at Keylor Navas.

City made a positive start to the second half and drew level just after the hour through Kevin De Bruyne.


Keylor Navas should have done better for Man City’s first goal[/caption]

It came from a corner after the ball was worked to the Belgian outside the area. He clipped the ball into the box from the left and it evaded everybody to bounce into the net at the far post.

Stuart Pearce said: ”The goalkeeper’s had a shocker, there wasn’t anyone coming close to the ball.

“It’s sold him, it’s poor, poor goalkeeping, but it’s exactly what they needed to get back into this.

“The goalkeeper was awful, he should’ve done a lot better.”

City maintained the pressure and were rewarded with a second goal on 71 minutes.

The visitors won a free-kick just outside the area and Mahrez stepped up to drill home a powerful shot, with the ball going straight through the wall.

PSG’s night took another turn for the worse as Idrissa Gana Gueye was sent off for a poor tackle on Ilkay Gundogan.

The former Everton player was shown a straight red card after catching the German above the ankle with a late challenge, a tackle described as an ‘ankle breaker’ by Pearce on talkSPORT’s commentary.

It gives a huge lead for Man City to take back to the Etihad, which will be played on Tuesday next week.